What is a Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions
Your passion for technology and hunger for digital transformation and innovation will help shape the future of sales and marketing within the consumer-packaged goods (CPG) space for years to come. In your daily interactions, you will provide essential strategic and day-to-day leadership across the organization, working with teams of engineers and product owners, aligning cross-functional projects, and ensuring fiscal and technical alignment with the organization.
In this model, a Principal Engineer is a strategic role that directly collaborates with the Product Owners, Engineering Leads, and other key partners to define a target state vision and technical roadmap for the business domain they are responsible, including its end-to-end architecture while ensuring adherence to standards and strategic initiatives.
A successful Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions manifests holistic wisdom of up- and down-stream impacts of technology solutions and trends to guide the development of future products and patterns. With that, a Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions is a top-tier engineer – a visionary leader and a hands-on builder – with experience making high-level design choices, framing technical standards, and re-enforcing frameworks, patterns, and principles, including tools, software, and engineering execution standards.
To be effective, a Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions develops expertise within their domain (understanding capabilities, strong problem-solving skills, etc.), creates a roadmap for their systems, and communicates that plan to others within the organization. However, more than technical knowledge is required, as a Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions must also have the soft skills to manage and positively influence projects and people.
The focus area for this role will be Advantage Commercial, with a hyper-focus on Consumer packaged goods (CPG) Execution, including all actions a brand takes to get to the final step of the buyer’s journey: purchase.
A Principal Engineer @ Advantage Solutions is a highly technical individual contributor responsible for driving activities in the following two distinct but related areas.
- Proactively identify opportunities to reuse or generalize existing capabilities, services, and product features. At the same time, avoiding duplication of effort by encouraging collaboration.
- A proven track record of delivering enterprise-scale engineering transformation projects, ideally within the CPG market, using contemporary technologies and methodologies such as:
- Digital Customer Experience platforms / CRM platforms
- E-commerce Platforms
- CMS, Search, PIM, DAM, OMS
- DevSecOps/Automation (CI/CD) for large-scale delivery
- Architecture and design knowledge of API gateways, Microservices, Integrations, IaC, and Data platforms
- Cloud platform architectures (Azure)
- Quality Engineering
- Tasks often involve investigating unique and complex problems.
- Responsible for making decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an essential impact on complete architectural design activities.
- Frequently involved in the conceptual stage of the design phase of a project and accepts complete responsibility for the architectural design elements of the entire project.
- Principal Engineers must keep themselves well-versed in new technology and industry trends.
- Responsible for prioritizing ever-changing tasks and scopes while ensuring that schedules and deadlines are met.
- Evaluate project costs and aid in crafting budgets for new projects.
- Providing the development team with architectural blueprints to follow.
- Partner with technology vendors and consultants to identify opportunities to innovate.
Responsibilities for Principal Architect @ Advantage Intelligence
- Primary Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with various stakeholders to determine application requirements
- Play a central role in technical, business, and organizational contributions affecting the sub-department/department
- Creating high-level product specifications and design documents (conceptual and physical diagrams)
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Providing the development team with architectural blueprints to follow
- Ensure the security of all applications/software systems
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions
- Actively seek ways to improve business applications/software processes and interactions
- Enhance our cloud capability by creating and implementing cloud application patterns
- Work closely with lead architects and engineers to create and maintain architectural templates, build/operational documents, and automation playbooks
- Define API features, expected security setup, scalability, and monetization.
- Secondary Responsibilities:
- Research and properly evaluate sources of information to determine possible limitations in reliability or usability
- Help other development and engineering teams resolve application-to-platform integration issues for Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) services
- Maintain domain knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations
- Coach and mentor engineering teams to raise collective technical expertise
- Testing the final product to ensure it is entirely functional and meets requirements
- Use a proactive approach to common challenges and continually researching best practices in coding
Qualifications / Skills / Requirements
- Outstanding collaboration and communication skills are essential
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in architecting and designing solutions using at least three disciplines: cloud architecture, software development, data platform integration, business processes and capabilities, focusing on scalability, security, performance, and cost to serve
- 10+ years of experience in applying architecture patterns that cover application, data, events, and API-led design concepts enabling transaction flow for scenarios such as application to application, business to business (B2B), direct to consumer (B2C), digital integration, devices, and things
- 10+ yrs. Experience working on large-scale application projects
- 10+ yrs. Exposure to cloud-managed services, serverless technology, and microservices like Function-as-a-Service, Containers, and managed databases
- 10+ yrs. Experience overseeing customized development of processes for multiple projects simultaneously
- 10+ yrs. Experience designing secure applications systems based upon industry specifications
- Demonstrated deep knowledge of web applications, webhook and API development, cybersecurity, and open-source technologies
- Demonstrate a track record of leading within complex organizations requiring strong influence management skills - the ability to work cooperatively at all levels in a matrix environment