Business Development Manager
FDM exists to help early-stage consumer packaged goods companies accelerate their growth. We build consumer brands and engage our clients not only as their sales agent but as an active partner in developing an overall business strategy. Our firm was founded and developed by industry veterans who are passionate about working with innovative brands and seeing them grow. We focus exclusively on best-in-class brands with material points of differentiation and chart them towards a successful exit. We leverage our 120 years of collective experience to provide market knowledge, broker management, retail relationships and other valuable industry contacts to fuel growth.
The FDM Business Development Manager (BDM) position is responsible for building customer sales in their assigned territory. FDM has achieved success in the marketplace primarily due to our assertion that “there are no customers in the office” which means the BDM is measured by the number and success of retail appointments. We work hard to find the most innovative brands in the marketplace and believe that if these brands are given the opportunity to be presented to buyers, then good things will happen.
In addition to securing appointments and a strong closure rate, to be successful, a BDM must:
- Have a passion for selling
- Have a working knowledge of the brands that FDM represents.
- Be able to multi-task across a multi-faceted client – customer environment
- Communicate well with FDM leadership and with clients.
- Respond in a timely fashion to requests for information from FDM leadership, Brand Managers, Retailers or clients.
- Be constantly aware of the category review schedules at assigned retailers.
- “Touch” each of FDM’s clients on a regular basis.
- Give each of FDM’s clients the attention they deserve at each assigned customer.
- Attend and participate in company-wide meetings and FDM’s weekly video Huddles.
- Maintain accurate and complete retailer status updates via our CRM system (Asana).
- Have a basic understanding of the grocery industry, consumer products landscape, and language terms associated with the industry.
- Maintain good buyer relationships at assigned retailers.
- Provide customer specific consultation as to the best route to achieve sales goals and account development
- Complete administrative tasks such as ad planning and promotion submission in a timely and accurate manner, or work with administrative support to do so